Re: [Usability] RE: [HIG] Reconsidering the frame styles; GTK bold style

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:42:37AM +0200, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > How possible would it be to alter the HIG to offer the ability to devs to
> > use the older box frame, but only on cases where clarity is an issue,
> > especially when boxes are horizontally next to each other? Mac OS X allows
> > both (header type and box type) and it really doesn't look inconsistent at
> > all !
> > Please consult my mockup here: http://img.osnews.com/img/3721/hig.png
> > Which one of the two do you prefer?
>
> Now that I am used to the HIG style I prefer the HIG-compliant one. Even if
> you prefer the non-HIG one, I don't think it makes much difference.

I think a vertical line between the halves might help. Though, I don't
think it's necessary when there is only one group on each side; like in
the screenshot.

The tab label question was snipped and Eugenia's message hasn't appeared
on usability@ yet. The question is: can tabs thematically have bold text?
It's possible by a widget_class path, but I can't find one that's unique
to labels in the tabs.

This snippet catches the tab labels, but will also catch any label that
is the sole content of the page:

  style "bold"
  {
    font_name = "Bold"
  }
  widget_class "*GtkNotebook.GtkLabel" style "bold"

Of course, there shouldn't be a page with just a label in it.

If the tab contains more than just a label, that snippet won't work. The
common case is to have an image or control on either side of the label,
so adding:

  widget_class "*GtkNotebook.GtkHBox.GtkLabel" style "bold"

should catch those cases.

I was surprised to find I could specify just the font style. I don't know
if that will always work.

Don't forget to make the "bold" style inherit your default style. If the
name of that style is "frobnitz", then the first line of the snippet
would be:

  style "bold" = "frobnitz"

I suppose I should note that a similar theming is possible for frames,
with the same caveats. Adding:

  widget_class "*GtkFrame.GtkLabel"         style "bold"
  widget_class "*GtkFrame.GtkHBox.GtkLabel" style "bold"

will catch most frame labels, but also a single label in a frame and
a every label in a single HBox in a frame.

For more about these nitty-gritty theming details, see the "Resource Files"
section of Gtk+'s documentation:

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Resource-Files.html

Cheers,
Greg