Re: [HIG] Capitalization

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 06:48, Mariano Suarez-Alvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where can I find the rationale for using the `Capitalize Using Title Style'
> on things that are not titling anything (I'm thinking of menu items,
> actually)? I've searched the hig gnome org archive and did not find much.

I'm cc'ing Pat Costello from the GNOME Documentation Team, as the
capitalisation rules ultimately came from them.  The only rationale I'm
personally aware of is consistency with other desktops... Windows and
Macintosh have pretty much the same rules for capitalisation.

One thing the HIG doesn't say is whether these rules should apply to
languages other than English... and to be perfectly honest, I don't know
if they should or not.  (I'm really only talking at the level of
"Sentence" and "Title" capitalisation here, which are the two styles the
HIG talks about-- do all languages have those concepts?  What about
Chinese, Arabic etc.?).   Cc'ing Damien from Sun's localisation team for
some insight...

Cheeri,
Calum.