Re: [HIG] OK - Cancel vs. Cancel - OK

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 02:50:38PM -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> I don't feel like writing up another detailed discussion of this, but
> the short answer is (copied from the dialog proposal):

I tried to find this discussion you mentioned from the HIG mailing list
archives, but all I was able to find was three or so people disagreeing
with the proposal, and none supporting it (though I understand people
tend to comment more easily when they disagree.)  Could you point me to
the correct thread, please?

> "   1.
>       rationale: The eyes of people who read left-to-right tend towards
> the upper-left and lower-right corners of boxes. Therefore the action
> the user is most likely to perform should be located in the lower-right
> corner. With this button order, the action the user is most likely to
> perform is always in the same place and is always the most noticeable."

Is there any hard data supporting this either?  (This is basically the
same question that was asked when someone disagreed with the proposal.)

If there is no hard data either way, then I'd say it's definitely better
not to fix things that aren't broken.  That way, at least, you have
history to back you up.

Unless there really exists reliable results about the proposed way being
better, I find it quite hard to see the point in doing things the
opposite way than what _people are already used to_.

I think it only confuses people when every one else (Windows, KDE and
most notably GNOME1) does things one way, and then GNOME2 does almost
the exact opposite.  Unless there are other big players agreeing to the
same guidelines, I can't see how this particular major difference helps
anyone.  All I can see is user confusion.

Now, if this discussion has already been beaten to death several times,
I'll happily shut up if I could just find the discussion and the points
made there. :)

Thanks.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi Komulainen iki fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6