Re: [HIG] proposed policy issues

At 11:03 AM +0100 10/25/01, Calum Benson wrote:
Not quite so sure about losing the recommended toolbar layouts-- the
toolbar is about the most striking thing you see when you first start a
new app, and it's rather unsettling when it looks a bit different from
the others on your desktop for no particularly good reason.  One of the
things that makes the office suites work well together is the
consistency of their toolbar layouts, for example, I don't know how
happy I'd be to leave it all to the developer's whim.

Let's say the following: "When you create your toolbar, to the extent possible make it consistent with other apps which are standard parts of the GNOME environment: Galeon, Nautilus, AbiWord (or whatever)." Then, let's work separately on the folks working on Galeon, Nautilus, and other apps and get them to improve their toolbar layouts.

To be honest, I think it's a bad idea to make specific targeted recommendations through the GNOME HIG to apps that are part of the standard GNOME environment; it's like Apple having a chapter on how the Finder should work in the Aqua HIG. We should be working directly with those folks; the HIG should be targeted towards third parties who want to create apps that integrate into the GNOME environment.

Adam