Re: [HIG] DISCUSSION: Section 53: Keyboard Interaction Basics: Add bookmark shortcut

On 16Oct2001 05:34AM (+0200), Christian Rose wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > Nautilus does have a bookmark editor,
>
> Oops, sorry about my mistake.

OK.

> > but the bookmark editor doesn't have a keyboard shortcut since it's not
> > a very commonly used feature.
>
> Maybe not in Nautilus, but rearranging bookmarks is a common action in
> more specialized web browsers. It might not be as commonly used as
> adding bookmarks, but once they become more than a handful, they tend to
> become less useful if they are not arranged somehow. And rearranging and
> deleting bookmarks is the primary use of a bookmarks editor.

But still, I think most users make bookmarks a lot more often than
they use the bookmark editor. I bookmark things every other day or so
and use the bookmark editor once every couple of months.

> > That makes some sense, but I really think Control+B is much more
> > obvious and it's weird to have it assigned to the less common "Edit
> > Bookmarks..." operation rather than the extremely common "Add
> > Bookmark" operation. Whoever decided that at Microsoft (I'm pretty
> > sure this comes from IE originally) was on some big-time crack.
>
> I suspect that IE borrowed it from Netscape at some point. And so on...

Netscape 4.x has Ctrl+K for add bookmark.

> Nevertheless, it hardly makes sense to break this because we think it's
> slightly more logical some other way. It's only logical for English
> anyway, many international users couldn't care less what the letters of
> the shortcuts are, as long as they are the same between applications.

I can see how it's a tradeoff. On the other hand if you always do the
same thing as other enviornment you never really innovate in terms of
UI design.

 - Maciej