Re: [HIG] Sound of Silence

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:27:25PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:

> It's all gone worryingly quiet here.  What's everyone up to?  How are
> the new bits coming along?  Didn't we agree at the last HIG meeting to
> release the current version for public review more or less immediately?
> When's that happening?

We just had two big reorganisations. I'm writing filler content and updates.
(Filler content that really needs review internally, IMO.)
I'm having doubts about keeping it as one large xml file. Commit conflicts
would be less likely, and editing would consume fewer resources if it were
split.

I've asked a few non-hacking computer users I know to sort some slips of paper
in search of a resolution to the File menu order. If a pro could run a card
sort experiment, that would be most helpful.

I've had some interesting results, which I'll write up soon.
Highlights:
 File->New has always been placed after File->Open, if placed at all.
 The list of recent files is placed in a submenu, or preferred there on
  suggestion.
 There has been one outcry for an addition to Close/Quit/Exit type items:
   File->Screw It
 No one noticed that I didn't make slips for the print-related items.

There are some screenshots of what I'm considering on my website.
  http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/
  See the PNGs named HIG-...
I'll soon have updates to those.

I'm still wondering why Nautilus has the Bookmarks menu after the Go menu.
I thought maybe Microsoft did that in IE, but they don't have a Go menu.

> I have a reasonably non-mad week lined up work-wise, so can probably
> help out with anything that needs helping out with to expedite
> anything.  (That's probably the vaguest offer I've ever made).

Run a card sort. :-)

> Cheeri,
> Calum, feeling inquisitive.
>
> --
> CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
> mailto:calum benson ireland sun com    Desktop Engineering Group
> http://www.sun.ie                      +353 1 819 9771
>
> Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Sun Microsystems

My sleep schedule has been off too; this cuts into my productive hours.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan