Re: [HIG] Capplet buttons/guidelines

Christian Rose wrote:

> sön 2001-12-23 klockan 08.48 skrev Matthew Thomas:
> > The same as for an unsaved document. `Cancel' returns you to the
> > message composition window (cancelling the operation which brought
> > up the alert, as usual), whereas `Don't Send' discards the message.
>
> Are you sure this distinction is entirely clear to the user?

Probably not. I picked a bad example, trying to think of one that might
*need* a help button while also having an alternative action button.

> I for one would have expected the "Don't Send" button (should there be
> one) to not send the message, and bring me back to the message
> composition window. I would be very annoyed if it did something else
> than it said by also discarding the message; a message that I might
> have spent a lot of time writing and maybe just wanted to send later.

Yes, in this case it would be better to just get rid of the `Don't Send'
button entirely -- if the user decides he doesn't want to send the
message, he can click `Cancel', then close the message window. That
would be better, IMO, than Seth's suggestion of making the wording of
the `Cancel' button inconsistent.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla UI Design component default assignee thing
<http://mozilla.org/>