[HIG] [Fwd: [Fwd: DRAFT Human Interface Guide release (0.1)]]

Some comments from Pat Costello (Sun docs guy and co-author of the GNOME
Documentation Styleguide).

Cheeri,
Calum.

---

Subject: Re: [Fwd: DRAFT Human Interface Guide release (0.1)]

John et alia,

My initial reactions to the draft HIG are as follows:

- Structurally the document is good. A closer review might indicate one
or two
new sections, but not much more than that.

- The content is good and mostly relevant. I'd delete some text, but not
whole
sections.

- The document is wordy. Very wordy. Everywhere.

- The information delivery in the document does not comply with the
GNOME
Documentation Style Guide.

- There are some inconsistencies with the GNOME Documentation Style
Guide. Not
many, but some.

- There needs to be more linkage with the GNOME Documentation Style
Guide,
especially in terms of our Word List. Ideally, both guides should access
the
same Word List.

Ideally, I'd recommend a thorough edit plus the attentions of a real
writer.
This document should be slick and fault-free. Professional.
User-friendly and
accessible. We could achieve that with a rewrite and edit round. Given
the
writing that is currently in the document, I doubt that the Usability
team would
be able to achieve the desired level of clarity, without a lot of
effort.

Anyone else have an opinion? How do we want to proceed? Discussion,
anyone?

Pat

--- Begin Message ---
Calum,

I sent the attached mail to the inner cabal of documentation teamers, meaning to
forward it on to you at a later stage. I can't remember if I did so. Anyway,
here is the mail.John and I already spoke to you briefly about this topic. You
can discuss my comments with the HIG team if you want to. If the HIG team is
interested in some writer support at a later stage, let me know and we'll see
what we can do.

Pat

My initial reactions to the draft HIG are as follows:

- Structurally the document is good. A closer review might indicate one or two
new sections, but not much more than that.

- The content is good and mostly relevant. I'd delete some text, but not whole
sections.

- The document is wordy. Very wordy. Everywhere.

- The information delivery in the document does not comply with the GNOME
Documentation Style Guide.

- There are some inconsistencies with the GNOME Documentation Style Guide. Not
many, but some.

- There needs to be more linkage with the GNOME Documentation Style Guide,
especially in terms of our Word List. Ideally, both guides should access the
same Word List.

Ideally, I'd recommend a thorough edit plus the attentions of a real writer.
This document should be slick and fault-free. Professional. User-friendly and
accessible. We could achieve that with a rewrite and edit round. Given the
writing that is currently in the document, I doubt that the Usability team would
be able to achieve the desired level of clarity, without a lot of effort.

Anyone else have an opinion? How do we want to proceed? Discussion, anyone?

Pat

> To: patrick costello Sun COM, irene ryan Sun COM, eugene oconnor Sun COM
> Subject: [Fwd: DRAFT Human Interface Guide release (0.1)]

<gnome2-release-team gnome org>,gnome-2-0-list gnome org