Re: [HIG] Capplet buttons/guidelines

Gregory Merchan wrote:
> Yup. OS/2 had an Undo button in its property notebooks (I don't know
> what Mac does).

Mac has `Edit' > `Undo'. (It's not implemented in all control panels,
but it's always present.)

> Because I'm a crazy fiend, I'd probably make the control center look
> like a folder.

And because I'm even crazier, I'd make it *be* a folder.

That way, if I (or anyone else) wrote some random graphical app for
changing some system settings (maybe not even a GTK app, let alone a
GNOME one), I could drag that app into the `Control Panels' folder
without GNOME having to know anything special about it. (See also
`Everything is a file (or a folder)' in IG2H.)

>                Each object, viewed as an icon in the folder, would
> have on it's menu (i.e., the right-click menu or the menu from the
> folder menubar that applies to selected objects) an item which would
> restore all the settings to "factory defaults".  (I cooked up this
> scheme before I looked at that other one with a Defaults button.)

That would be a neat shortcut, but it would be bad as the only UI for
going back to default settings, because it would be in a completely
separate place from the UI for changing the settings in the first place.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla UI Design component default assignee thing
<http://mozilla.org/>