Re: [HIG] Capplet buttons/guidelines

Calum Benson wrote:

> I assume a capplet should be treated the same as any other Properties
> dialog, i.e. instant apply where reasonable, explicit apply otherwise.
> Can we try and agree/write up our final decision on what buttons should
> appear in each case (or at least let jrb know what we're going to write)
> by the end of the week, so he can get libcapplet done and dusted and get
> other people involved in porting capplets?

Okay, nobody took the bait, and the deadline has come and gone, so I'm
afraid I just gave jrb my opinion :)

He was only interested in explicit-apply dialogs for now.  So, having
re-read the relevant discussions on the usability list, and come out in
a few cold sweats, I suggested that for now, he should go ahead and use:

[Help]   [Revert] [Apply] [OK]

Yes, I know some people don't like "Revert".  I know there is no
"Cancel" button.  I know it says "OK" and not "Apply & Close".  I know
some people think a "Help" button is an admission of failure.  But none
of the discussions ever seemed to result in an actual decision, so I
decided to make one on everyone's behalf :)

If people violently disagree with this, can we add it to the agenda for
Wednesday's #usability meeting and resolve it there?  Another long email
discussion about it probably isn't going to help, especially as jrb is
quite reasonably looking for a decision sooner rather than later :/

The other thing he was asking about is whether we should add a
"Defaults" button to capplets.  Any views on this?  Personally I'm happy
with the concept, but it would potentially add even more clutter to
quite a lot of dialogs.  Perhaps this is something else we could discuss
on Wednesday?

Cheeri,
Calum.