Re: [HIG] Documentation Style Guide compliance

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:25:13PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:

> Pat Costello here (one of the main doc style guide authors) has had a
> read through our public HIG draft, and has said he will be happy to help
> us rewrite it to be more concise and documentation styleguide
> compliant-- actually he was strangely excited about the prospect, but
> that's documentation types for you  :)  Anyway, this sounds to me like
> an offer we should definitely take up.

I've wanted to do this myself. I can still see individual styles in the
sections and they aren't similar enough to be passed off.

> Question is, when?  My original thought was to wait until we'd dealt
> with the flood of review comments from the public draft, but, er...
> there isn't one :)  So should we let him loose on what's there now,
> which would be less work for him than leaving it till later and would
> give us a good model to base the rest of our content on?  Or should we
> hold off for a bit until the guidelines themselves are more stable?

I'm carrying the windows, dialogs, alerts, assistants, and menu rewrites at
the moment. I've been focused on menus, but I've occassionally been adding
to the windows section. I've committed little to the menus section; nothing
feels right yet.

Perhaps we could feed sections to the critics piecemeal?

> Cheeri,
> Calum.
>
> --
> CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
> mailto:calum benson ireland sun com    Desktop Engineering Group
> http://www.sun.ie                      +353 1 819 9771
>
> Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Sun Microsystems

Yeah, yeah.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan