Re: google-drive:: location

    Is there a list of file search utilities which are capable of searching within GIO mounts? I am trying to find something that can handle wildcard searches on files with a given trailing extension. It doesn't appear that Nautilus search can handle that.
               Jack

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 7:17 AM Ondrej Holy via gvfs-list <gvfs-list gnome org> wrote:
čt 2. 4. 2020 v 4:58 odesílatel Ángel <gvfs 16bits net> napsal:

> On 2020-04-01 at 16:27 -0400, Jack Howarth via gvfs-list wrote:
> >     Is there a conventional mount location (ie directory) for
> > gvfs-fuse mounting of Google Drives by the default mechanism (used in
> > Ubuntu 18.04 onwards)? I see a suggestion of looking at the Properties
> > dialog produced for a mounted file from a Google Drive.
> >

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1137888/how-to-access-mounted-online-accounts-from-filesystem
> >

> > However I am seeing a Parent folder of the form
> > 'google-drive;//foo bar com/' rather than a normal file path. Is there
> > an easy way to find out where the google-drive mount directory is?
> >                  Jack
>
> Hello Jack
>
> The google-drive://foo bar com/ url *is* the location. An app which uses
> GIO is able to open that directly (under the hood it will be
> communicating with the appropriate gvfs package that provides
> google-drive backend via dbus).
>
> There is not a traditional mount that is being used. When dealing with a
> remote filesystem, the program will not e.g. call the rename(2) syscall,
> instead a command to rename the file will be sent through a socket
> (after traversing some daemons).
>
> However, this makes traditional applications that simply use POSIX calls
> second class citizens, since they wouldn't be able to access those
> files.
> That's where the gfvs package comes to provide a fuse virtual filesystem
> which allows access to those modules to GIO-unaware applications . You
> will find the "mounted" places on /run/user/$UID/gvfs/
> You may mount an url using gio mount.
> Note however that while it provides an interface to the same backends,
> it is not *the* backend. Actually, you may find that applications that
> access the files via the fuse gvfs way have issues opening some files
> while GIO native applications don't.
>

> Also, in the specific case of google-drive backends, the names used
> internally may be somewhat opaque.

Unfortunately, the google backend is hard to use with non-GIO based
applications as it uses database IDs as filenames. Just note that you
can use "gio list --print-display-names" from the command line to see
the file titles with GNOME 3.36...

O.