Re: OneDrive backend

On Mon, May 28, 2018, 12:59 PM Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
Hey,

Yes, using libzapojit [1] for the over-the-wire communication is a
good idea.  The OneDrive integration in GNOME Documents uses it; it's
quite similar to the libgdata [2] API and is easy to integrate with
GNOME Online Accounts.

That said, I wrote libzapojit six years ago in just about a week and
haven't touched it since (no idea if that's a good or bad thing :/),
and it has managed to keep working as far as GNOME Documents is
concerned.  Since then Microsoft seems to have rolled out a newer
version of the API.  So you might want to check up on that.  I'd
suggest migrating libzapojit to the newer API version before working
on the GVfs backend.  Otherwise you might be surprised by Microsoft
killing off the old API - this actually happened while we were working
on the Google Drive backend!  Oh, and we really need to add a test
suite!

Other than that, as Ondrej mentioned, the Google Drive backend exposes
some limitations of the GIO abstraction; and we need to rethink the
caching to improve performance but that's a bit tied to the way we
handle multiple files with the same title in the same location.  If
OneDrive doesn't allow duplicate titles, then it might have a
significant positive effect on your life. :)

Feel free to ask if you need any help.  Good luck!

Happy hacking,
Rishi

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/libzapojit/0.0/
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gdata/0.17/