Re: gvfs-mime not considering subdirectories of $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 06:21:12PM +0200, Peter Mattern wrote:
Hello.

It seems gvfs-mime doesn't consider subdirectories of
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications.

I ran into this trying to configure Dolphin that comes with desktop entry
file /usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop:
          $ gvfs-mime --set inode/directory dolphin.desktop
          Failed to load info for handler 'dolphin.desktop'
Also, the file's path is translated into a wrong filename
          $ gvfs-mime --query inode/directory
          Default application for 'inode/directory': Thunar.desktop
          Registered applications:
               [...]
               kde4-dolphin.desktop
After moving dolphin.desktop to /usr/share/applications everything works
flawlessly.

Posting here as I couldn't find any information in the specs whether or not
subdirectories of /usr/share/applications should be considered in the first
place and hence don't know whether or not this should be considered a bug.
xdg-mime does handle desktop entry files in those subdirectories without
issues.

Seen using GVFS 1.24.1 on Arch Linux.

Hi,

It's a bit confusing, but gvfs-mime is just a thin wrapper around glib
functionality. To get an answer I'd recommend pinging desrt on IRC #gtk+
or posting to a more general mailing list.

Regards
--
Ross Lagerwall