System not responsive any more when mouting smb shares with a huge amount of files

Hello,

I am using gvfs in Ubuntu 12.01, and I have problems mounting a windows share (over VPN in this case) with more than 1500 files in it. The whole gnome system is not responsive any more, it needs at least one second until the action after a mouse click or key stroke starts. Also the performance of the gnome-shell effects (clicking "Activitites") is affected.

This happens mounting the share from command line with "gvfs-mount". Then, the network traffic starts on constantly about 200 KiB/s. (I assume that it would stop after all necessary data [file names? file metadata?] are transmitted.)

It seems that only the gnome desktop is affected, the other terminals without X are working fine and I can jump to them without any delay. But the gnome desktop is definitely not usable any more.

My gvfs version:
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.12.1-0ubuntu1.1

Is this a new unknown issue? Should I open a bug regarding this?

Regards
Paul.