Re: GVFS + LibreOffice + WebDAV

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 09:43 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I can use my WebDAV server [OpenGroupware Coils] via GVS / Nautilus
> without issue; at least with GNOME applications.  I frequently edit
> files in gedit from the WebDAV share.  I browse there in nautilus open
> the file, edit, save.  In nautilus I can create, open, delete files,
> create directories... awesome.
>
> In LibreOffice I can File -> Open, navigate to the WebDAV share, open
> files, etc...
>
> But in Nautilus if I File - > Open (open with LibreOffice) then
> LibreOffice fails to open the file with a "general error".  I don't see
> any error responses from the server or requests/responses that looks
> strange  [except that someone make numerous requests without
> authentication].
>
> Tips?  Suggestions?

I don't know if it's the same problem, but I had a similar difficulty.
LibreOffice files opened from Nautilus were opened read-only, which
generated a rather random general error.

You can test whether this is the problem that you have, by browsing to
the .gvfs directory where the mounted files are, and seeing if it is
read-only (just try editing any file in there through the shell). Most
gnome applications open the files directly on a webDAV link, rather than
using the .gvfs directory, which is why you won't get the problem
elsewhere.

I filed a bug report here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gvfs-list/2012-January/msg00000.html

but didn't get a response. I've also seen lots of other people with a
similar problem.

One day, when I've got time, I'll investigate further.

Andy