Re: Photo import problems using python

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Damon Lynch <damonlynch gmail com> wrote:
On 01/25/2010 06:22 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 14:38 -0600, Damon Lynch wrote:

My questions:
     1. Is accessing a camera via FUSE meant to "just work" in the use
        scenario I have, or are there limitations I need to be aware
        of?

We try to make the fuse stuff work as well as possible, but generally
many backends don't map well to the posix semantics, so some details may
work less well. Also, its another layer adding possible bugs.

After modifying my code to use gio commands like copy() and enumerate_children(), and hopefully thereby bypassing any potential FUSE issues, I've discovered that my problems still persist with my test hardware (a high end camera, the Canon 5D Mk II). So it seems the problem is not FUSE. These problems include the GUI locking up momentarily, and the download speed being approximately 1/5th that of downloading from a python test file (without a GUI) or from Nautilus.  The very same code, when downloading from a memory card reader, has no problems.

Naturally this causes me to suspect that is there is a problem between the way my multi-threaded pygtk application is running, and the GVFS / GIO code that runs only when downloading from a device like a camera. There appears to be a real conflict of some sort, possibly relating to gtk and gobject. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could look to track the problem down? After doing some googling, I tried experimenting by replacing a call to gtk.main() with gobject.MainLoop(), and gdk.threads_init()
with gobject.threads_init(), but the problem still persists.  I don't know what to do now.

Damon

--
http://www.damonlynch.net