Re: GVFS SFTP backend question

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 12:21 +1300, Srdan Dukic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to mount a remote server file system through sftp/nautilus
> it always gives me a timeout error (which is understandable since the
> server has quite high latency), while logging in through ssh from the
> command line does not.
>
> Where can I set the Timeout variable for the gvfs sftp backend? I
> suspect it's under '/usr/share/gvfs/mounts/sftp.mount', but the
> documentation does not specify the variables allowed in this file and
> the format that they have to be in.
>
> I'm sorry for contacting you directly, but I have already tried
> looking for the gvfs-backends documentation and asking on several
> forums. Your email address was in the packages' AUTHORS file. The
> distribution I am using is Ubuntu 9.04 and the gvfs-backends package
> is version 1.2.2.
>
> If you can't help me, perhaps you could point me in the direction of a
> mailing-list/forum/IRC channel where I might find an answer.

There is a gvfs-list (CCed).

At the moment the timeout is hardcoded in the sftp backend in
daemon/gvfsbackendsftp.c:

#define SFTP_READ_TIMEOUT 40   /* seconds */

It was recently
(http://git.gnome.org/browse/gvfs/commit/?id=a86f1a8fb7ecd5a8e3e22d7f95c4f022ba3e7211)
bumped from 20 to 40 seconds due to a similar request.

We have long wanted to add per-mountpoint config support, but this has
not happened yet, so its not possible to set this yourself.

What kind of timeout do you require?

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a suicidal soccer-playing cat burglar on the hunt for the last specimen
of a great and near-mythical creature. She's an elegant African-American
stripper fleeing from a Satanic cult. They fight crime!