Re: GMountOperation issues

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:

>   Resolution: State in the docs for g_volume_mount() that
>   implementations MUST return G_IO_ERROR_FAILED_HANDLED upon
>   receiving G_MOUNT_OPERATION_ABORTED.

That sounds reasonable.

>  - What should happen if the resource that the user is trying to mount
>   is removed while the authentication dialog is being shown?

I think the best behaviour depends on what kind of mount we are
talking about. For a local device like a usb stick, making the dialog
just go away
is right. For a network device that may disappear 'spontaneously', it would
probably be better to show an explanation before instead of just hiding
the password dialog.
Just leaving the password dialog up is wrong in any case :-(

>   Resolution: State in the docs for g_volume_mount() that
>   implementations MUST return G_IO_ERROR_FAILED_HANDLED if the
>   resource being mounted is removed. Introduce ::cancelled signal
>   on GMountOperation and add suitable docs.

Sounds reasonable. i'd consider adding that signal if Alex agrees that
it is a good idea and a patch shows up before Monday night...

>  - GtkMountOperation hardcodes the word "Connect" in the user interface.
>   This is not really helpful for things like LUKS devices where a
>   better word would be "Unlock" or "Decrypt" or something else. It's
>   also sort of a detail so I don't know if we want to throw API at
>   fixing this.

Hmm. What kind of api would you envision for this ?
One option would be to pass some additional hints via
GAskPasswordFlags, like G_ASK_PASSWORD_DEVICE_IS_ENCRYPTED.  But I
agree, it seems like a detail.

> Btw, another feature from gnome-mount that I need to teach the
> DeviceKit-disks GVfs backend about is showing a notification if
> unmounting turns out to be taking a long time [2].
>
> The naive solution here is to just make the volume monitor process poke
> the notification daemon using D-Bus. However, I'm wondering if we want
> move this functionality to Nautilus or maybe throw some API at it? I
> don't know.

It would be nice to show the warning message inside the nautilus
window where the unmount was initiated. But the most common case is
probably unmounting from the desktop. And for that case, the bubble
should be fine.

Matthias