Re: Mounting a path with GVFS

Hi,

(You should probably be using gvfs-list instead of gnome-vfs-list if you
are asking gvfs question. I'm moving the thread there, for replies
please subscribe to gvfs-list before sending.)

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 21:41 -0300, Aldrin Martoq wrote:
> I'm trying to mount a remote FTP folder using GVFS, just for "testing"
> purposes.
>
> My problem is that I need to change the name of the folder, because:
> - I don't want in nautilus the label "ftp as amartoq on 127.0.0.1:2121"
> for ex (I may set the user randomly for example).
> - I  want to mount and treat different folders as independent mounts
> (say /tmp and /home). So, I want it to say for ex: "HOME on 127.0.0.1
> (ftp)" AND "TMP on 127.0.0.1 (ftp)".
> - I would like to change the icon ;)

You're not exactly using the right terminology here, but if all you care
about are the names and icons that appears in the file manager / file
chooser / panel etc., it sounds like the connected-servers feature that
I'm working on (slated to be included in the next GNOME release) is what
you're looking for. It's still a bit up in the air how it's going to
work, but the main idea is outlined here

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gvfs-list/2008-October/msg00002.html

Basically, the way I now think it's going to work this week, is that
you'll be able to create "server bookmarks", e.g.

 URI:   ftp://user some server:2121/tmp
 Name:  TMP on some.server
 Icon:  some-themed-icon
 Flags: show_on_desktop + show_in_places

 URI:   ftp://user some server:2121/home
 Name:  HOME on some.server
 Icon:  /some/path/to/a/local/icon.png
 Flags: show_on_desktop + show_in_places

with Name, Icon on your choice. Essentially, then two icons will be
shown in the file manager / file chooser / panel / desktop that
represents these two locations. This screenshot

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gvfs-connected-server-multiple-shadow-mounts.png

should illustrate the idea. It's still work in progress though, but
something like this is expected to land in the next GNOME release.

    David