Re: [RFC] gvfs connected servers

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 13:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 00:08 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 21:37 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > Hmmm, on the other hand, i guess that code won't see these shadow mounts
> > > really so there might not be a problem. They just exist in the volume
> > > monitor, the actual i/o code paths never see them.
> >
> > Yeah, it works really well. See
> >
> >  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gvfs-connected-server-multiple-shadow-mounts.png
>
> Nipicking here. Should the shadow mounts actually have eject buttons, or
> just the top-level one?

I think all of them should have these buttons; I also think the usual
case is that the mounts aren't childs of each other. Also remember that,
if you have connected-server volumes/mount, we never show the underlying
mount.

> What would happen if you clicked eject on one of
> the shadow mounts, does it umount just that mount, or the top-level ones
> as well?

All of them right now. I think that's desired; we want to fix Nautilus
such that you can still drag files to unmounted connected-server volumes
in so far that we'd automatically mount it in the process (might include
bringing up the mount dialogs for auth).

Also, since I like to nitpick too, I think we should use the
gtk-disconnect icon

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-Stock-Items.html#GTK-STOCK-DISCONNECT:CAPS

when dealing with mounts that doesn't use the file:///, cdda:/// and
gphoto2:/// URIs [1]. Should also fix the prelight and lack of tooltip
too.

(Oh, and we also need to teach the gtk+ file chooser about the eject /
disconnect buttons and other features like this we land in Nautilus.
Ideally (but now I'm dreaming) gtk+ would provide a GIOExtensionPoint
for the file chooser such that Nautilus could provide an extension and
people would end up using the Nautilus codebase (and look+feel) when
using the file chooser. Then we wouldn't have to duplicate all this
stuff.)

     David

[1] : Ideally we'd get that information from the underlying mount, e.g.

 GIcon g_mount_get_eject_icon();

though that's a bit crap. Maybe we just hardcode only file:/// and
cdda:// and gphoto2:/// mounts to use the eject icon and use
gtk-disconnect for the rest. Or have some global function. I don't know.