Re: defunct processes in 2.23?

El dom, 22-06-2008 a las 11:23 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma escribió:

> What happened was the following. GVFS was somehow compiled with
> HAVE_HAL_FAST_INIT equals 1. This meant that
> libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties was available. However jhbuild
> installls hal 0.5.10 and libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties is
> only available in 0.5.11. My ~/.xsession-errors contained an error of
> gnome-panel which made a call where
> libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties was not found.
>
> Upgrading to hal 0.5.11 fixed everything for me

I did some quick tests and it seems like the checks in GVFS's
configure.ac for libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties succeed if you
have installed libhal-dev 0.5.11 from your distro. Removing libhal-dev
caused gvfs to disable the "fast init path" thing:

  Use HAL for volume monitor:   yes (with fast init path: no)

I guess that what happens otherwise, is that gvfs is linked against
libhal in /opt/gnome-2.24 (currently 0.5.10), which doesn't have
libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties, and then we have the resulting
processes dying.

I'm not sure how this should be addressed, perhaps the gvfs people
should improve the tests for libhal_get_all_devices_with_properties, or
we could simply bump the libhal minimal dependency to 0.5.11.

I'm cc'ing the gvfs-list. Wisdom is appreciated.

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra gnome org>