Re: D-Bus interface of gvfs

David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> writes:

> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 06:41 +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for D-Bus introspection data of gvfs. The gvfs 1.0.2
>> sources, I've grepped through, do not provide it, as far as I can see.
>>
>> Where shall I go?
>
> First of all you should use the gvfs-list instead. I've Cc'ed it for
> follow up questions (I think you also need to subscribe to the list to
> post messages).

is not so simple to search and to subscribe.

Furthermore, it would be nice, if gvfs-list would be available at gmane
(gnome-vfs-list exists there). By this, it would be more simple to read
it for people like me.

> Second, the D-Bus interfaces of GVfs are purely private implementation
> details subject to change at any time. So you shouldn't use them at all;
> they may change at any time and I don't think there are any plans to
> provide any public API in that area.
>
> (In fact, all of GVfs right now is a giant implementation detail; the
> only public API is GIO. That's subject to change when we make the GVfs
> backend interface stable and public.)
>
> But I'm curious.. why do you need to know about the D-Bus interfaces?

I'm planning to write an Emacs/Tramp client for gvfs. Tramp is an Emacs
package, which allows access to files on remote hosts.

Since the package is written in ELisp, I would prefer to communicate to
gvfsd via D-Bus. An alternative could be the gvs-* commands, but this
might decrease performance.

>      David

Best regards, Michael.