Re: Icon Metadata for Filesystems

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Rodney Dawes <dobey gnome org> wrote:
> Holas,
>
> I have written the attached patch to GIO, which implements getting an
> icon name for a mounted volume from an .iconrc file within its file
> system. David Z suggested that it might be useful to also allow other
> information to be provided here, such as the volume name to use in the
> display. I'd like to get some definite agreement on the file name to use
> here (davdiz suggested possibly using .xdg-volume-info), and get the
> patch upstream. I implemented this in GIO, as it appears the HAL is not
> aware of all possible mounts (particularly user owned fuse mounts), and
> this should work for all volumes. Particularly, some fuse mounts may
> want to provide this metadata file virtually, to specify their icon.
>
> What do you think about the file name, and the patch in general?

The idea in general I'm very fond of: it's the KISS solution to "Help
me rename my volume". Changing the icon is a definite added bonus
(though what happens if the icon doesn't exist on the source machine?
Should we load an icon from the disk? ".volume-icon" for even more
magical hidden files? Specify it in the .volume-info file? ergh, too
much thinking). I suggested this solution (for volume names) in an
Ubuntu bug a few months ago, but I haven't had time to do much of
anything recently. The name I'm less fond of, but I don't think it
exactly matters what we go with there. ".volume-info" would be enough
for me, but anything works.

> Thanks,
> Rodney

-A. Walton