SVN commit messages

Hey everybody,

currently the not-outspoken-policy for svn commit logs is to just copy
and paste the ChangeLog entry. I my eyes that is not very optimal
because:
  1) In viewvc on svn.gnome.org I most of the times just see something
     like: "2008-03-28 Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> * \
            daemon/Makefile.am (gvfsd_.."
     which obviously isn't useful at all.

  2) In "svn log" or also in "git log" (if you use git-svn) you have all
     information that is in the first line of the ChangeLog entry
     already and so that is information duplication all over the place.
     (Note if you can't identify the committer by his svn name, just
      pick the revision and look at the ChangeLog entry of that
      revision. Also if you just want to contact him then
      <svn_name>@svn.gnome.org should always work)

To avoid the two issues, make the svn/git-svn experience a better one,
and to make the world a better place in general, I'd suggest:

  1) We continue to create the ChangeLog entry as we are used to be
  2) When we then commit to svn, omit the first line of the ChangeLog
     entry but add a short commit log message to sum the commit up. The
     short commit log will be nice everywhere where only the first line
     can be show, like e.g. in viewvc.

If there aren't any too big objections I think we should be switching to
that new scheme right now, and I might eventually cook up a HACKING file
to add to the top source dir which will include that policy.

Cheers,
Christian