[guppi-list] strip charts

I have an old DOS-based data acquisition application that I've almost
completely ported over to Linux (on its way to being open-sourced). The
only two things left to port are the low level data acquisition (which
looks like it can be handled easily by the Comedi library) and graphics.

The application allows the user to create (via scripting) simple x-y
plots and strip charts, intermixed with text boxes. An example can be
seen at http://home1.gte.net/res000mx/tidal.gif. The strip charts in
this case are all the same size, but the user has control of size,
aspect ratio, and placement.

All the graphics is done with low-level (mid-80's) Borland C
libraries--all that's really required is the ability to draw points and
lines, fill rectangles, display text, and pan the display within a
viewport (which is done by copying display memory).

I am very familiar with Unix but not with X Windows or any UI technology. From my reading and testing it appears that I can easily do everything I need to do with the Gnome Canvas except possibly panning the display. (In case it's not clear, I make these pseudo-strip-charts by sliding the rightmost rectangle of the chart to the left, and then plotting the most recent data at the right edge of the chart.) I suspect this is also possible with Canvas, but I don't see now to do it. It also seems that I could do it with GDK. That might even make more sense, as there is no user interaction with the graphical display. I can't find any good documentation on GDK, however.

Can guppi make strip charts? If not, would it be hard to add? I'm willing to contribute, although I am a newbie at user interfaces. My primary objective at this point is to reproduce the old DOS functionality on Linux, and then move from there into new capabilities. So I am looking for something that will work quickly and easily, at least for now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.