Re: [guppi-list] mailing list, bonobo-controls

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:43:09PM +0200, Lutz Müller wrote:
> I couldn't find a recent archive of the guppi list - the web-site
> http://www.gnome.org/guppi points to
> http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/guppi-list/ where the latest archive
> dates back to September 2000. Did I miss something?

No, I missed something.  I'll update the web site.

Try http://mail.gnome.org/archives/guppi-list/index.html

> Please excuse if the following question has already been discussed:
>
> I don't understand why guppi isn't using Bonobo/Controls? Simply using
> guppi_object_new results in nice charts, but a control providing menus,
> toolbars, printing/saving/loading/... would be far more powerful.

Guppi is also going to provide a nice Bonobo control.  This is how
Gnumeric will be embedding Guppi.  Admittedly, details of how to do
this in a non-"Gnumeric only" way have yet to be worked out.  (If
anyone is interested in hacking Guppi's bonobo stuff, please contact
me.)

Linking directly against the Guppi shared libs will always be an
option, because the library is very general and provides a level of
customization/flexibility that would be difficult for a control to
match.

The guppi_object_new stuff is just a simple wrapper for people who
want to use Guppi as a shared lib, but don't want the complexity of
the full API.

-JT