Re: [guppi-list] gnome-config --libs libguppi

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:58:18AM -0400, Charles Gagnon wrote:
> Nobody knows? Where could I find out?

I think I know.  Sorry for missing your first post.

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:29:33PM -0400, Charles Gagnon wrote:
> > I have a problem compiling gnucash w/ guppi (python support
> > enabled) on SunOS5.8. I'm not too too familiar with the Gnome
> > infrastructure but it seems like I would need the:
> >
> >     gnome-config --libs libguppi
> >
> > check to return:
> >
> >     -L/usr/local/python2.0/config -lpython2.0
> >
> > in addition to whatever it currently returns. The thing is I
> > don't know who or what to modify to get that behavior. Any
> > help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the lame answer is that you can edit libguppiConf.sh (which
should be in $(PREFIX/lib) to add those two flags.

The non-lame answer is more subtle.  Looking back over guppi, I
see that I originally included the lib information for python in Guppi's
list of libraries to link against, but commented it out in configure.in
(line 467) because of a problem building on platforms where only
static python libs are available.

Some distros (ie Debian) ship both static & shared python libs.  However,
many python RPMs only contain static libs.  Also, if you build python
directly from the tarball, the default behavior is to only install
static libs.

I wonder if there is a portable way to detech if the shared python libs
are available.  I'd like to get this sorted out before I release 0.35.4
(which I had hoped to do today...)

-JT