Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

It's been rumoured that Jon Trowbridge said:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 02:22:03PM -0500, linas@linas.org wrote:
> > And, FWIW, if you aren't already using g-wrap to auto-generate your
> > C-to-scheme and v.v. bindings, then I encourage you to look into it.
>
> I used hand-written scheme-ish .defs files, along with some scripts to
> do the .defs->guile wrappers and .defs->python wrappers conversions.
> I picked up this approach from looking at how the Gnome/Gtk+ language
> bindings do things.
>
> Does g-wrap work from something like .defs files, or does it actually
> scan your headers?

No, it doesn't scan headers. (but if you wanted that, swig does that)
g-wrap converts scheme-ish looking definitions into guile
wrappers, and C wrappers.  Recent work included adding correct handling
for C enums. Upcoming work is correct handling for glib primitives.

It sure sounds to me like you invented something similar.  At this
point, excuse me if I express some frustration, but what I really want
to say is 'what is it with you open-source guys? How come you don't talk
to each other?'

I asked Rob why we spent time improving g-wrap instead of SWIG,
and his response was that the g-wrap author responded to email, but the
SWIG folks semed disinterested.  Which is a loss for the community,
since SWIG does a lot of other things nicely (like perl bindings).

Sigh.  "competition is good for open source", but sometimes I wonder.
At the risk of provoking an NIH response, might I suggest reviewing
g-wrap & seeing if you want to join forces and share efforts?

--linas