Problems with 0.34.1

There have been some problems with Guppi 0.34.1, involving (yet again)
guile.  Guppi was activating readline by default, and this has been
causing some people problems.  It turns out that packaged versions of
guile are plagued by hosed libguilereadline.so's.

Kenny Graunke has been researching this and reported:
> Every single Guile RPM listed on rpmfind.net is broken! Either they
> provide a broken symlink in the -devel package with no actual library,
> or the library is screwed. : / SuSE's looked promising, but I get
> errors with their libguilereadline.so, too.

I built and installed guile 1.3.4 from the sources because the Debian
package (as of about 3-4 months ago) also contained a bad
libguilereadline.so.  I don't know if it is fixed now, but Kenny
reported that things still looked suspicious.

Since this is such a pervasive problem, I'm going to try to get
configure to detect the hosed libguilereadline.so and not
turn on readline by default if there is a problem.

Once I get this sorted out, I'll release a 0.34.2... probably some
time tomorrow (Tuesday).

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.