Re: [guppi-list] guppi/python integration and other hacking news

Hi Jon

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jon Trowbridge wrote:

> I've taken a few small steps towards embedding python in guppi.
>
> (1) I've created the shell of the infrastructure required to have a
>     Python Interaction Window (like the existing Guile Interaction
>     Window).  There is now a python-server directory in guppi3/src on
>     CVS, which is basically a copy of guile-server with all of the
>     guile bits hacked out.  The problem is that none of the necessary
>     python bits have been put in.  Hopefully someone who actually
>     knows about embedding python can help me with that.
>
> (2) In my work on the replacement data model, I've switched to using
>     auto-generated guile bindings.  For someone who knows what they
>     are doing, it shouldn't be too hard to auto-generate python
>     bindings from the same specifications file.  Eventually all of
>     guppi's guile bindings will be auto-generated --- so we'll always
>     be able to keep guile and python (and anything else we care to
>     add) in sync.  Again, volunteers are encouraged to step forward.

I just tried to compile guppi from CVS, but it fails with
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `guppi-array.c', needed by
`guppi-array.lo'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/conrad/sunsite/guppi3/src/libguppinewdata'

Should I wait for a release, or am I doing something obviously wrong:
I updated from CVS and did a 'autogen.sh --prefix=/usr; make'
This is on a Mandrake 6.1 (x86) with the proper guile rpms.

guppi-array.c is referred to im the Makefile.am, but does not exist
(yet?). I think I may have just caught the repository in an uncompilable
state. If so, could you drop me a line when things are in a compilable
state again? I'd really like to help with the python bindings :-)

Cheers

Conrad