Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

Jon Trowbridge wrote:

> I've made a new Guppi development snapshot, based on the CVS version
> as of 9:00pm CDT on Dec 2, 2000.

Builds ok on (yes, very standard I know) Debian (woody w/o libc6 2.2
upgrade) x86.

> There is a lot of new stuff in this snapshot, but relatively little
> of it is visible in the Guppi app.  There is, however, a snazzy new
> little demo available under the Plot menu --- try it out!

A little matter of a firewall stops this... :(

> This Guppi snapshot should be suitable for use with Gnumeric.  You'll
> need to build your own Gnumeric --- the packaged versions don't have
> built-in Bonobo support.  However, it *does* work.  I've seen it
> with my own eyes, and it is pretty damn cool.

Sorry, I don't quite have enough CPU/disk to build gnumeric as well at
guppi...at 233MB for guppi!

> This version of Guppi takes about 20 minutes to compile on my laptop
> (700mhz PIII, 192mb RAM) when it is unloaded (no X, no mp3 player, no
> mozilla, etc.).  YMMV.

Probably about 1:15 on a ~266 PII w/64MB (X, no netscape!).

> Before compiling, the untarred Guppi source directory consumes 8.8mb.
> After compiling, the Guppi directory (on my machine) grows to over
> 200mb.  Start making room on your hard drive now.

233MB...more space than last time (unsurprisingly)...had to clear out
some space to build it.

> As usual, any reports of success or failure in building/using Guppi
> are appreciated.  Reports concerning non-x86/non-Debian/non-Helix
> situations are of particular interest.

Am considering trying on sparc x86 next, albeit via sneakernet and an
old sparc at that.

Notes:
- Plot elements (title, scatter-elements) can still lie outside the
margin when the plot is homed.
- Scatter-plot configure display does not auto-update when selecting it
in the configure-box.
- 2x2 grid-plot not working correctly?

--
Neil