Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 02:22:03PM -0500, linas@linas.org wrote:

> Yeah, maybe I missed the point of the thread, but wasn't it "gee what
> about the C++ bindings for guppi?"

I thought it was "should we all be using IDL a lot more?"  But C++
bindings are interesting too.

> And, FWIW, if you aren't already using g-wrap to auto-generate your
> C-to-scheme and v.v. bindings, then I encourage you to look into it.

I used hand-written scheme-ish .defs files, along with some scripts to
do the .defs->guile wrappers and .defs->python wrappers conversions.
I picked up this approach from looking at how the Gnome/Gtk+ language
bindings do things.

Does g-wrap work from something like .defs files, or does it actually
scan your headers?

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't know what "v.v. bindings" are?

It actually wouldn't be all that hard to write a .defs->C++ wrapper
thingie, that would produce some Inti-esque C++ bindings for Guppi.
I've given this a some idle thoughts, and it would probably just take
a day or two to pound something out, but my plate is too full already
with other Guppi development.  I am, however, accepting patches. :-)

(A .defs->IDL mapper wouldn't be that hard either, which would (pretty
much) fully CORBAify Guppi.  I'll take patches for that as well.)

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.