Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:05:23PM +0100, Neil J Pilgrim wrote:
> Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> After getting gdk-pixbuf (didn't need it before?), had some small errors
> in configure script:
>
> sed: can't read ./src/guppi-gnumeric/Makefile.in: No such file or
> directory
>
> sed: can't read ./src/guppi-gnumeric/guppi-gnumeric.oafinfo.in: No such
> file or directory
>
> sed: can't read ./plug-ins/plot/XLplots/Makefile.in: No such file or
> directory

Yeah, that happens... Jody still hasn't checked in the guppi-gnumeric
stuff, so there are some gaps.  It shouldn't cause any problems,
though.

> This was with a ./configure --disable-python
> Interestingly it still creates a python-server makefile with this:
>
> creating src/python-server/Makefile

It will create the Makefile, but won't build anything.  At least in
theory...

> Pie-chart rotation is fine; repeated dragging-out behaves very
>  oddly?

In what way?

> Re multiple views, will multiple views only be possible on multiple
> windows (unlinked views)? I'm trying to see a reason for linked views...
> You could have something like in grace, where there is a 'stack' of
> views which you can push new ones onto, plus cycle through. Ideally it
> would be like an 'undo' list, showing all the changes that you've made,
> perhaps?

Yeah, this isn't very flexible.  One problem has been that guppi's
"engine" hasn't been good about handling on-the-fly changes to plots,
(i.e. adding new elements, etc.) which means things have been pretty
static in terms of the layout.  This is why there has always been a
linear regression element there by default... it couldn't really be
added later.

The good news is that I've recently fixed this, and plots can be build
up or torn down while being displayed.  So this sort of thing should
be getting better in the future.

> Should 'home' be a 'mouse tool'?

I agree that it is a bit strange, but it can be nice to "home" only
part of your graph.  i.e. you can "home" the x-axis but leave the
y-axis zoomed in.  Of course, the easiest thing is to just press the
"Home" key, but I guess the theory is to put everything on the toolbar
for the benefit of new users...

> You cannot start a reframe outside of the plot, but can end it
> outside.

I original confined the mouse to the window in question during tool
ops, but this became annoying for things like dragging.  I figured
that there was no harm in this.

> Print preview of the 'homed' plot is fine, but if zoomed in the boxplots
> (and data) goes outside the plot frame.

Go outside the frame in the print preview?  There is a bug in
gnome-print 0.20 that causes clipping to not work properly when
"printing" to a gdk-pixbuf.  That might be the problem.  (It is fixed
in CVS; the rumor is that gnome-print 0.21 will be released real soon
now.)

> In fact, large amounts of:
> ---
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `GuppiPlotCanvas'

Yikes... that isn't supposed to happen.  Can you tell me the specific
sequence actions that trigger those warnings?

Thanks,
-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.