Re: [guppi-list] guppi segfault

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hey, I got almost exactly the same backtrace today. :-)
>
> Is there any chance you built Guile with libc5 or libc6 2.0 and then
> upgraded? I haven't actually resolved the segfault on my end, but I did
> just upgrade libc and that is my current hypothesis (I'll tell you if a
> Guile rebuild works tomorrow). If the Guile rebuild fails, we must have
> some sort of glibc 2.1 issue and I'll investigate.

Actually I think I installed the guile rpm on machine 2 (the one that
doesn't work) after upgrading from RH 5.2 to RH 6.0.  This was
guile-1.3.  Significantly, machine 1 (the one that runs guppi) was a
clean install of RH 6.0 on to a freshly formated hard drive.

I'm betting its a RH rpm issue.  Here's why.  When I upgraded from 5.2
to 6.0, ghostview wouldn't work anymore.  The solution was to
uninstall the gv rpm, then reinstall it so it wasn't an upgrade
anymore. This sounds similar.

The thing is, I'm a little afraid to uninstall libc.  I'm really not
even sure rpm will work without it.  I'd hate to uninstall it and then
not be able to reinstall it.  I guess I can check the dependencies for
rpm.

> Hmm, another possibility occurs to me: I always type 'make' in the src
> subdirectory, not rebuilding gnome-guile-repl or the CORBA stubs;
> installing a new libc would require those to be rebuilt. (Well,
> theoretically libc 2.1 is compatible with the old one, but the associated
> libstdc++ doesn't seem to be.)

I always make from the guppi-0.10 directory (i.e the one above src).

Tom
Quote of the day for Tuesday, 29 June, 1999:

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch
what they do."

  - Andrew Carnegie