Re: [guppi-list] Status

>  - A plotting program that is purely graphical and easy-to-use;
>    scripting will not be required
>  - Embedability in other Gnome applications; this is a long-term
>    goal, after gnome-libs 1.0 Miguel and others are hoping to
>    resume Baboon development to enable it.
>  - A "data browser" with import/export capabilities; this is
>    used in the standalone Guppi, while the embedded Guppi will
>    get its data from the enclosing application

So you are not interested in data entry/modification?

This is very relevant design decision, which implies that the
graphs will be static.

However, my needs with goose imply support for dynamic data
editing, so therefor, Guppi would be able to get some of this for
relative little cost:  Implementing a grid.

Of course, the graphs should be able to update themselves
dynamically, but I hope you design the plot engine to handle
that.  (At least that makes sense if it's to be usable by, say,
Gnumeric.)

Just food for thought.

>  - Pointers to example GUI applications that do plotting and/or
>    data browsing. They can be proprietary applications. If I can
>    find good examples, I will clone shamelessly. May even buy
>    a license in order to clone. (I am looking for examples that do not use
>    scripting as the main interface. I have plenty of shell-like tools that
>    can pop up a plot.)

Of course, Microsoft Excel is such an application.

Other applications I have used:
StatGraphics: http://www.statgraphics.com/
Simstat: http://www.simstat.com/

There are a few lists with pointers to statistical software.
I haven't tried any of these for real, so I don't know if
they apply:
http://www.stata.com/support/links/stat_software.html
http://www.isds.duke.edu/sites/software.html

Regarding help with the other stuff:  I'll concentrate for Goose.

Except right now I have to study for my exams.

Greets,

Asger