Re: GUPnP and Zones

Hi Ludo,

On 04/23/2013 05:38 PM, Ludovic Ferrandis wrote:
The main goal of Network Zone, it to manage the firewall rules
differently, depending of the 'Zone' selected.
In case we are working with a network manager that support Network Zone,
we don't have anything to do. I explain.

Everything could be done just by changing the firewall rules. Ex:

What I think we really need to provide is a sensible and secure set of defaults that apply to the entire DLNA stack. So, by default, user content should not be shared on unsafe networks and the user is not put at risk by allowing DLNA applications to function on insecure networks. And all this should happen automatically without any user configuration, where possible.

Now I must admit that I don't know anything about firewalls, but having said that, I'm not sure relying on low level firewall configurations is the best way to achieve this aim.

For example, who will configure the correct firewall settings for UPnP/DLNA? Will this be done by the user or do we expect the the various distros to do this? How do we ensure that these settings do not break other applications or services that are secure and don't need firewall protection? How do we ensure that the UPnP settings are not overruled by settings for other applications or services, leaving our components vulnerable.

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that making a few changes to the various context managers to recognise zones, would be an easier, safer and more efficient way of protecting our users.

Regards,

Mark