Re: [gupnp] gssdp & GIO

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 21:36 +0200, Jens Georg wrote:

> currently GSSDP uses a home-brewn GSource implementation which is
> neither portable nor 21st century ;)
>
> During the discussion with Zeeshan and Ross of the future of my Windows
> port of GSSDP and why it cannot be merged currently, I suggested that it
> would probably be more future-proven to port GSSDP to GIO. That said,
> here's a pretty straight-forward port of my windows port to GIO. I used
> my windows port as a starting point since it already modifies some of
> the code in a GSocket friendly way (by accident, actually). You can find
> the code here:
>
> http://gitorious.org/~phako/gupnp/jensg-gssdp/commits/gio
>
> It's still a bit rough around the edges (like might leak references) but
> works well with gssdp-device-sniffer, gupnp-av-cp and Rygel. I tagged
> the version which I consider feature-equivalent to current master with
> gio-0.1.
>
> Nevertheless, there is room for more improvement (in no particular
> order):
>   * Add some tests
>   * Make the SocketSource a GObject and move the event handling done in
>     the client into the SocketSource
>   * Make the multicast code nice enough to be included into glib.
>   * Create a portable physical network layer library which will include
>     the host-ip detection code of GSSDP and all of the network
>     management code currently in gUPnP. This will encapsulate all of
>     the network portability ugliness, keeping the other libs nice and
>     shiny
>   * Make it IPv6 aware.
>
> Please share your opinions on that.

Ross asked me to review your patches from the Raumfeld point of view. So
here we go...

We already use GIO in our software stack, so we are certainly fine with
that dependency. I've had a look at your changes now and it looks like a
clean and straight-forward port that shouldn't break things for us.
Since we might even have a use for the Win32 port at some point, you get
thumbs up for merging this change.

Regards,
Sven

--
Sven Neumann
Head of Software Development

RAUMFELD GmbH | Reichenberger Str. 124 | 10999 Berlin | Germany
Tel: +49.30.340.60.98.0 | Fax: +49.30.340.60.98.99 | s neumann raumfeld com