Re: [gupnp] GUPnP DLNA 0.4.0

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Arun Raghavan
<arun raghavan collabora co uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 02:15 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 21:30 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> > Just to clarify this statement. Does this mean that you can not use
>> > this release of gupnp-dlna with a distribution that ships g-p-b
>> > 0.10.30? If that is the case when is that due to be fixed?
>>
>> No it does not. Let me clarify:
>>
>> 1. You can have any version of gst-plugins-base and gupnp-dlna-0.4.0
>> installed on your system concurrently. There is no problem with this.
>>
>> 2. If you are using an app that uses both pbutils and gupnp-dlna-0.4.0,
>> it will break *if* you use gst-plugins-base 0.10.31 (i.e. the next
>> release). As far as I know, there isn't any published app currently that
>> uses both these libraries.
>>
>> 3. There /should/ be a newer version of gupnp-dlna that works with
>> gst-plugins-base 0.10.31 and later by the time gst-plugins-base-0.10.31
>> is released.
>
> It does not appear to be possible to support using newer pbutils with
> gupnp-dlna without breaking our API. The problem is that the
> GstDiscoverResult enum, which is part of the gupnp-dlna API, is also
> defined in pbutils, and thus collides with the version in our internal
> discoverer. I realise this is messy, but unfortunately, unavoidable.
>
> Both Zeeshan and I are inclined to leave the API as-is and retain the
> restriction w.r.t. applications not linking against both gupnp-dlna and
> pbutils. Does anyone have any objections to this?

Yes, Fedora has strict guidelines regarding inclusion of bundled
libraries and we were given the ability to package gupnp-dlna on the
understanding that it would be resolved before long. Presumably 0.6
will be out in 6+ months and that's not before long.