Re: [gupnp] UPnP Remote Access

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Just Me <justyesno gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,

  Hello,

> I would like to put some effort on UPnP Remote Access implementation
> using GUPnP.
> I have already studied somewhat the RemoteAccess_1 specs in
>  http://upnp.org/resources/upnpresources.zip.
>
> There seems to be some RA functionality implemented during last summer:
>  http://sghai.blogspot.com/2010/08/google-summer-of-code-update-bridging.html
>
> The picture in the blog does not relate very well to
> UPnP-ra-RAArchitecture-v1-20090930.pdf.
> At least the component names are totally different.
> I think that perhaps it would be better to obey strictly the existing
> UPnP specifications.
> After all, the specs are accepted by the UPnP forum.

  Obeying the specs don't exactly mean having the same names or even
having the same components as the specs recommend. All that matters is
that one implementation is able to interoperate with the others.
Having said that I'm not sure the student succeeded in following the
specs or not.

> Does anybody know if there is any ongoing activities with this GSoC
> implementation

  As you might already know, GSoC has ended a while ago. The student
promised that he'll try to find some time to finish the project but
AFAIK he didn't succeed.

> or possibly
> with any other opensource Remote Access solution?

 I'm sure there is no other GUPnP-based effort at least. If you are
interested, I strongly suggest you contact Sunil (the GSoC student)
and continue the development of the project. I'm sure Sunil will be
very much receptive to contributions and even big design changes (if
needed).

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)