Re: [gupnp] enable gzip compression for action responses

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Ross Burton <ross openedhand com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 11:54 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
>> I'd like to propose a patch for inclusion in gupnp that makes use of a
>> feature that was added with libsoup 2.28. Since then libsoup can
>> transparently handle content that is compressed using gzip and marked
>> with the "Content-Encoding" header set to "gzip". The patch that is
>> attached to this mail uses this feature to compress large action
>> response bodies. We are using this patch for a few days now and it has
>> shown to be a noticeable speed improvement when it comes to browsing
>> large media collections over a WLAN connection.
>
> Nice!
>
>> Thus, here are my questions for you:
>>
>> (1) Is there interest at all to get this included in gupnp ?
>
> Yes!

   All efforts to improves performance are highly appreciated, even if
the resulting changes aren't accepted in the end of some reason. :)

>> (2) Can the dependencies for libsoup and glib be bumped to the
>>     versions required for this patch or should I add version
>>     checks and only enable this feature if the installed versions
>>     of libsoup and glib are new enough?
>
> I think I'd be happiest with version checks and conditional enabling.

  I think we can just bump the deps since even libsoup 2.30 is already
in distros. Same goes for glib since you are not bumping it beyond
2.24?

>> (3) How should this feature be controlled at run-time? We could
>>     for example not enable the SOUP_TYPE_CONTENT_DECODER feature
>>     by default and leave this up to the user of the gupnp library.
>>     But we could check if it is enabled on the SoupSession, and
>>     if it is, set the "Accept-Encoding" header. Or is there an
>>     established way to enable/disable certain features in GUPnP
>>     at run-time?
>
> Default to on, provide an API somewhere to disable for apps that want it
> off, and an environment variable that hits that API for debugging?

  Can't this be on demand somehow? i-e only compress if client asks
for compression?

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)