Re: [gupnp] enable gzip compression for action responses

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 11:54 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> I'd like to propose a patch for inclusion in gupnp that makes use of a
> feature that was added with libsoup 2.28. Since then libsoup can
> transparently handle content that is compressed using gzip and marked
> with the "Content-Encoding" header set to "gzip". The patch that is
> attached to this mail uses this feature to compress large action
> response bodies. We are using this patch for a few days now and it has
> shown to be a noticeable speed improvement when it comes to browsing
> large media collections over a WLAN connection.

Nice!

> Thus, here are my questions for you:
>
> (1) Is there interest at all to get this included in gupnp ?

Yes!

> (2) Can the dependencies for libsoup and glib be bumped to the
>     versions required for this patch or should I add version
>     checks and only enable this feature if the installed versions
>     of libsoup and glib are new enough?

I think I'd be happiest with version checks and conditional enabling.

> (3) How should this feature be controlled at run-time? We could
>     for example not enable the SOUP_TYPE_CONTENT_DECODER feature
>     by default and leave this up to the user of the gupnp library.
>     But we could check if it is enabled on the SoupSession, and
>     if it is, set the "Accept-Encoding" header. Or is there an
>     established way to enable/disable certain features in GUPnP
>     at run-time?

Default to on, provide an API somewhere to disable for apps that want it
off, and an environment variable that hits that API for debugging?

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/