Re: [gugmasters] Marketing & promotion - Cheat sheets, LiveCDs, community calendar

By only shipping what is needed.  Conary has such strong dep checking
and fine grained components.  Basically, if a package only needs a
shared lib, conary will just include the libs not the runtime stuff.
So we end up with conary packages that look like this:

libgnome=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:config=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:data=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:devel=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:devellib=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:doc=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:lib=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:locale=2.16.0-2-5
 libgnome:runtime=2.16.0-2-5

If only libgnome:lib and libgnome:data are required by dependency, the
others are excluded.  Unless of course you want them, then you
explicitly add the whole package.  The current LiveCD I am working on
is 420M.

Our technology is really created to build appliances, which should
only require the bare minimum to make the application you care about
run.  Very powerful stuff :)

--Ken

On 3/2/07, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
On 3/2/07, Ken VanDine <ken vandine org> wrote:
> I have a vmware image demoing GNOME 2.17.92 and would love to get some
> feedback.  The LiveCD will be ready to show soon too.
>
> http://www.rpath.org/rbuilder/project/foresight/release?id=5402
>
> Please let me know what you think and lets start collecting a list of
> things to change.

I'll try to steal a little bit of time this afternoon to play with
this; no promises.

re: vmware image: 362M?!? how did you get it that small?

>  I know we need some content to add to the Desktop
> like the last LiveCD had.  We need to update the old documents.  Does
> anyone know if those are in svn somewhere?

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/

For some reason the directories of content didn't make it over to svn:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/livecd-project/trunk/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/

Luis