Re: Video Neelie Kroes

Ok! I posted it like this:
ps -  Sense, the 'Dutch' subtitles you sent me were also in English! Also, can you add a link to the homepage under the video to the announcement? Something like: " Read the video's release annoucement here: http://www.guadec.org/index.php/guadec/index/announcement/view/15 "

---

GNOME conference draws Open Source support from EU Commissioner
Thursday, July 15

European Union (EU) Commissioner for Digital Agenda Neelie Kroes has released a <a href="" statement</a> emphasising the importance of Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) in Europe and the need to foster a growing open source community. The video came in response to an invitation by the GNOME Users and Developers European Conference (GUADEC). While Commissioner Kroes was unable to attend, she instead recorded a statement strongly supporting FLOSS and its work across European sectors.

Commissioner Kroes explained that FLOSS was in everyone's best interests. Fear of copyright infringement and perceived lack of support, said Kroes, "discouraged [government] officials from selecting software on merit." Many governments, such as in France, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands and the UK, are already using or testing FLOSS, and the benefits are "not only good value for money ... but also more choice."

Aside from member states, EU-level commitment and preparedness for FLOSS has sent promising signals, showing that in Europe the work of shaping the digital future is a responsibility shared by government, communities, and people alike.

Commissioner Kroes is a well-known advocate for digital rights. Coordinated with the GUADEC conference, her message is meant to help raise awareness and support of community participation in FLOSS development. The GUADEC conference, in its eleventh year, brings users and developers together in various European locations and hosts a number of speaking sessions, training activities and special pre-conferences. A key pre-event this year is the GNOME Open Desktop Day, a panel of government officials, FLOSS project managers and advocates who will discuss FLOSS's role in public government and education sectors.

GNOME, the default graphical environment in many major Linux and Unix systems, has millions of users around the world and the support of large enterprises and small business. Holding its main tenets as freedom, accessability and usability, GNOME is well positioned to play a key role in future FLOSS projects.

As Commissioner Kroes says, government "can bring people together and help get rid of obstacles."

"But," she continues, "the real difference is made by people and communities, like the open source movement."

The full video is on the GUADEC 2010 homepage:

The video can also be found on Youtube:

More information about GNOME can be found at:

Attached video transcripts:

---

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net> wrote:
Hi all,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM, William from Texas
<williamfromtexas gmail com> wrote:
> Sorry for being a bit late with this. This is a version I really like,
> actually, I changed quite a bit. Give it a read if you can, I will post with
> either good reviews from y'all or later tonight. ;-)

I still think the headline is confusing.

Also this: "Commissioner Kroes is a well-known digital advocate."

Not sure what this means, but it makes it sound like Kroes is digital.
:-) Maybe "advocate of digital rights"?

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net>
About: http://www.dissociatedpress.net/about/