Re: [guadec-list] What's in it for me?

Hi Michael,
I started contributing to Gnome 3 years back when I participated in its OPW program. I attended the GUADEC then, thanks to the Gnome Foundation and it was one of the most defining moments for my journey with Gnome ahead. I met this super enthusiastic community, full of talented yet humble people sharing their knowledge, and it inspires you too. You can listen to many people sharing their first time development experience with Gnome and I think it will be a great start for you. You build relationships that will surely help you along the way.

Cheers and good luck!
Saumya

On 25 May 2015 at 17:31, klondike <franxisco1988 gmail com> wrote:
El 25/05/15 a las 11:58, michael isberg posteo de escribió:
> Hi,
Hi Michael,
> Maybe I'm in the wrong place but I'm a GNOME desktop user and
> eventually I want to develop an application in the GNOME/GTK+
> environment.
> Would attending GUADEC benefit me in any way, even if I'm just a plain
> user? Apart from meeting very nice people.
To me my first and only Guadec 8 years ago was quite a turning point as
it made me discover that the Gnome philosophy and the way it was turning
wasn't for me.

This was in no ways a bad thing, I still use the occasional Gnome
program (I was using dia some minutes ago for dessigning a DB for
example) and as a Gentoo Hardened dev I try to help the users who do use
Gnome when they hit an issue, but I'm focusing my efforts on other
projects though.

So yeah, meeting the Gnome community is a good thing, they are nice
people and you may get some nice ideas on where you can focus your
efforts to contribute, and in my experience even if you decide to focus
on something else instead the net experience will be mostly positive.

Best regards,
Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)