[guadec-list] minutes from local GUADEC 2015 meeting 141014

Hi everyone!
The local GUADEC 2015 team had a small meeting on the 14th.
These are the notes:

GUADEC 2015 - Local Meeting 2014-10-14

= Participants =

Kalev

Fabiana

Andreas S

Andreas N

= Agenda =

* Venue

* Sponsorships

* Website

* Volunteers

* Speakers

* Next steps

= Venue =

* Andreas N spoke to Leif-Göran about Humanisten. This was our initial proposal for a venue, but had been discarded due to renovations.

* Leif-Göran mentioned the renovations might have been postponed, so that we might be able to host GUADEC there during the summer.

* Leif-Göran will confirm this information with the university. He’ll have a preliminary answer on November, and a definitive one in December.

* Our alternatives for a venue are:

* Gamlestans medborgarhus - Rent for 3 days at ~13000 SEK

* Frilagret + Folkets Hus - Rent for Folkets Hus for 3 days at ~15000 SEK + tax. ACTION: Andreas S will try and book a visit there.

* Chalmers Technical University - The regular rent for Chalmers is really high and out of questions for GUADEC. However, Kalev has a contact there who might be able to lend us the halls for free. ACTION: Kalev will try to get in touch with them next week.

= Sponsorships =

* Fabiana and Andreas have written a draft of the brochure to be sent to the Board.

* Question: Do we we need the text in Swedish as well for local sponsors? It might be a good idea for reaching out to sponsors with local interest, such as Unionen.

* We need to tweak the text to mention we’re a non-profit first off.

* We need to start a list of potential sponsors in the GNOME wiki. ACTION: Andreas N to create initial page.

* We already have a potential small sponsor (688 USD).

* Having a study circle format for our meetings allows us to get some sponsorship from the local government. ACTION: Andreas S to ask Stian about how this is done for FSCONS.

* Oliver started an application for support from regional government. ACTION: Andreas N and Andreas S to review the application.

* There are a few people who might help us find sponsors:

* Jasmine Lyman - ACTION: Andreas N to contact

* Tech groups at Chalmers - ACTION: Kalev to contact

= Website =

* We need something basic up as soon as possible, with details on location and sponsorship.

* Conference management software has been a struggle in past GUADECs.

* FSCONS uses frab, a replacement of Pentabarf which has been tested for GUADEC before. ACTION: Andreas S will get more information about the system from Gregoir once FSCONS is over.

* Patrick Uijterwijk from GNOME told Andreas N he's working on a system as well. ACTION: Andreas N to reach out to Patrick about this with Kalev, who’s interested in keeping tabs on this, on cc.

* We need to offer at least one payment method in addition to PayPal.

= Volunteers =

* We need to expand our team of volunteers for our next steps

* How many volunteers do we need?

* GNOME Wiki says 1 coordinator, 5 highly involved and 10 committed. The wiki also has clear areas needing volunteer leadership-

* ACTION: As we move things to the wiki, assign yourself to areas of your interest.

= Speakers =

* We brainstormed some potential local speakers in the area (keynote and others):

* Jeremiah Foster from Debian and Genivi

* Smári McCarthy (Iceland) from Mailpile

* Jasmine Lyman from Collaboratory

* Henrik Sandklef from GNU and the IT University

* Jonas Öberg from Commons Machinery (Creative Commons)

* There is a list of suggestions on Google Drive already. ACTION: Fabiana to move this list from Google Drive to the GNOME Wiki.

* In order to explore the local FOSS community, we’d like to focus on having local speakers (from Sweden, expanding to Scandinavia). As a side effect, we’d also save money on flights.

= Next steps =

* Action items from this meeting

* Start structuring a proper budget document. ACTION: Andreas N to reach out to Alexandre for help and reference from GUADEC 2014.

* January: open call for papers, decide on the format of the conference, put together travel and accommodation details.

* The goal is to have the conference between late July and early August. If we’re short on sponsors though, we can push it to June or September.

* Fabiana is away for work from May 28 to June 4

* Swedish midsummer holiday is on June 19 and 20

* We should meet again in two weeks.

= Action items =

* Andreas S will try and book a visit to Folkets Hus.

* Andreas S to ask Stian how study groups are set up for FSCONS.

* Andreas S to ask Gregoir about frab once FSCONS is over.

* Andreas N to create a page in the wiki for potential sponsors

* Andreas N to reach out to Patrick about a GNOME conference management system.

* Andreas N to reach out to Alexandre for help with budget tracking

* Andreas N to contact Jasmine Lyman from Collaboratory about sponsors

* Andreas N and Andreas S to review Oliver’s application for the regional government.

* Kalev will get in touch with his contact at Chalmers with regard to venue.

* Kalev to contact Chalmers regarding sponsorship opportunities

* Fabiana to move information from Google Docs to the GNOME Wiki.

* Everyone to take ownership of different organization tasks listed on the GUADEC planning guide.

- Andreas