Re: [guadec-list] Talk Schedule

[guadec-list wasn't original CC'ed, I put the integral content of the
initial email at the end of this email]

Hi,

2010/4/6 Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau gmail com>:
> If we put these plenary sessions 9.00-10.00 every morning and
> 14.00-15.00 every evening, and have the lunch break at 13.00-14.00,
> this leaves us with talks from 10.00 to 13.00 and from 15.00 to 18.00.
> I'd tend to favour "short" talks, and split these in 45 minutes slots,
> which would give us 4 slots per room in the morning and the same in
> the afternoon.

I never followed up on alternate suggestions I got on IRC. The main
problem with this schedule is that 9am is pretty early, especially
considering GUADEC evenings/nights are generally busy. Emmanuele
suggested an alternate schedule which I like too, but which gives us
less slots:

9.30-10.30 first keynote
10.30-11.00 break (people can talk, have a coffee, ...)
11.00-11.45 talk slot
11.45-12.30 talk slot
12.30-13.30 lunch break (can also be 12.30-14.00)
13.30-14.30 keynote
14.30-15.15 talk slot
15.15-16.00 talk slot
16.00-16.45 talk slot
16.45-17.30 talk slot

If we can get 15 minutes more from somewhere, we can have 1 more slot
in the afternoon. This schedule would give us 3 rooms * 6 slots per
room * 3 days = 54 slots (minus lightning talks, foundation AGM
plenary session).

Anyway, we'll have a clearer idea about the number of slots needed
after we're done going through the talk proposals.

Christophe

Original email:

Hi everyone,

I started to think about the talk schedule in the train yesterday.
We've got 3 days to fill, and 3 rooms (500 seats, and 2 100-seat
rooms). The opening hours are from 9h00 to 18h00. Every day, we'll
have 2 keynotes which will be plenary sessions. Looking at the other
years schedule, the 1st day, the first thing was Registration/Welcome
talk (replacing a keynote), and the last day there was a (sometimes
short) Goodbye talk, I think we should keep those this year.

If we put these plenary sessions 9.00-10.00 every morning and
14.00-15.00 every evening, and have the lunch break at 13.00-14.00,
this leaves us with talks from 10.00 to 13.00 and from 15.00 to 18.00.
I'd tend to favour "short" talks, and split these in 45 minutes slots,
which would give us 4 slots per room in the morning and the same in
the afternoon.

I think the lightning talks would fit well on Tuesday afternoon
(middle day) with a break in the middle. I'm not sure if the big room
must be used for that or if one of the 2 smaller ones is ok?
The foundation AGM can go on Friday at 15.00. It will probably take 2
slots because 45 minutes is probably too short for that. I guess it
has to be in the big room?

With 2*4 slot per room per day, this gives us 8*3*3 = 72 slots total,
minus the slots mentioned above (ie 6 slots). We don't have to fill
all the rooms all the time, breaks don't hurt :) Maybe we should have
1 hour slots some times?

While looking at the other years schedules, there were some BOF in the
main schedule, I think this year there will be a dedicated room for
that?

If you already have comments about this rough schedule skeleton, let
me know so that I can go back to the drawing board :)