[guadec-list] GUADEC 2008 Videos

Hi;

Wanted to save list from its abandonment and give some info about GUADEC
2008 videos.

People might remember we recorded talks on core days in bigger rooms.
These records delivered to me as miniDV cassettes and for a while I had
nowhere to convert them to data.

Last two months someone gave me a hand and ripped all those cassettes
and now I have ~40 GB of videos. However work on those haven't finished
yet. Since most of the audio is very poor. I wish those volunteers
informed me about that, then it could have been much more easier to
fix.

Now I need to adjust volume (read: increase and filter noise) on videos
and convert them to theora files (they were ripped in non-free format).

But since those actions mostly be automated, I don't think it would take
more than a week.

I don't plan to upload those videos one by one since I believe in
'bandwidth of transportation' should not be underestimated as Tenenbaum
stated.

I'm planning to mail DVDs to a location where gnome.org data servers
stay (I think Canonical, USA) and a kind sysadmin there can put them
online. I haven't shared this idea with sysadmins yet but in case they
don't find it applicable I'll try to find a faster connection than mine
and upload files that way.

So if everything goes well, finally videos can be reachable by February
this year (hiding me behind the better late than never mantra).

Regards,
Baris Cicek