Re: [guadec-list] Registration Fees for GUADEC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 13:39 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> It's not about the money. It's about my feelings towards GUADEC. I
> always thought it's more of a get-together of all the hackers
> sponsored by people that appreciate the work we are doing. Everybody
> working on GNOME was invited. Do you feel invited when you have to pay
> a fee? (The same goes for applying for sponsorship btw: Do you feel
> invited when you have to beg for the money?)

This is IMO where you are wrong.  GUADEC is not a developers meeting
only.  It's for developers AND users.  In fact, Users And Developers.
It's an open party.  Unfortunately GNOME is not rich enough to sponsor
open public advertised parties with lots of drinks and what not for
free.  AFAIK neither is Google...

What you say makes a lot of sense and that's exactly Boston Summit is
about: developers coming together and have fun.  No surprise that it's
free.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/