Re: [guadec-list] Key Note Speakers

Hi,

Paul Cooper wrote:
>> In line with Seth Godin and Guy Kawasaki - but I get the feeling
>> that all of those aren't really well suited to GUADEC.
>
> I think theres a two way trade if we can a) persuede one of these
> guys to turn up - then we get informed & entertained and b) tempt
> them to go to other talks or activities, and get them informed &
> entertained. Hopefully our awesome community will inspire them to
> spread the word.

Of the ones we've come up with, I like Seth best, since he's famous for
something other than just being a blogger, and he hasn't had a career
with one of our sworn enemies ;)

> It seemed a shame to me that, for example, Kathy Sierra didn't appear
> in any other sessions, granted she may have been in different ones to
> me, but if she did go along to anything else it didn't inspire her to
> write anything in her blog about it (whereas Euro RubyConf got a nice
> entry - the much later entry about tshirts notwithstanding).

Yeah - she did mention GNOME as "passionate community" in one blog
entry, but I don't think she went to any sessions. I did suggest a few
to her and Bert, but I guess they were on holiday, and drove around the
region a bit.

> Bastien suggested a large user a la Dreamworks in Stuttgart - we felt
> that any of the main vendors might have contacts that could be
> persued.

Contact Jonathan Blandford - he's helped us in the past - and Simon
Phipps may be able to point us in the direction of a big JDS customer. I
don't know anyone who's been helpful with Novell customers in the past...

> Along the same lines would be one of the 'big converts' Mark Pilgrim,
> Tim Bray, and Cory Doctorow. By that time they'll have been using
> Gnome for around a year (presuming that don't switch back or to
> something else) and might provide some feedback?

At least one of those has gone back, last I heard (or maybe I'm
confusing them with someone else who was one of those A-list switchers).
Worth checking before inviting.

Cheers,
Dave.

--